Whenever somebody hears the word arthritis, the first thing they will probably think about is a pain in the knee commonly found in older adults. However, it goes further than that. There are many different types of arthritis that you may not know about. Our professionals want to bring these conditions to your attention. Stem Cell Miami specializes in stem cell therapy for arthritis.
Which Arthritis are You Familiar With?
As crazy as it sounds. There are over 100 classifications of arthritis. Each has its own superficial causes and symptoms. Many of these you are probably familiar with. While there is a lot, we are going to stick to the three most common. We are here to let you know what they are, what happens, and what are the symptoms.
Five Types of Arthritis
- This is the most common condition. It’s the “wear and tear” that happens when your joints are overused. It usually happens with age, but it can also come from joint injuries or obesity, which puts extra stress on your joints.
- Let’s break it down: You lose your body’s shock absorber. Cartilage, the slippery material that covers the ends of bones, gradually breaks down.
- Example: is what can happen to your knees when you’re overweight. The extra pounds put more pressure on the cartilage as it gets squeezed between the bones. It gets damaged and wears away, so there isn’t as much left to cushion the joint.
- Symptoms depend on which joint or joints are affected. You may have:
- Deep, aching pain
- Trouble dressing, combing your hair, gripping things, bending over, squatting, or climbing stairs, depending on which joints are involved
- Morning stiffness that typically lasts less than 30 minutes
- Pain when walking
- Stiffness after resting
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- This is an autoimmune disease. That means the immune system attacks parts of the body, especially the joints. That leads to inflammation, which can cause severe joint damage if you don’t treat it. About one out of every five people who have rheumatoid arthritis get lumps on their skin called rheumatoid nodules. These often form over joint areas that receive pressure, such as over knuckles, elbows, or heels.
- Let’s break it down: Doctors don’t know exactly what causes rheumatoid arthritis. Some experts believe the immune system becomes “confused” after an infection with a bacteria or virus and starts to attack your joints. This battle can spread to other areas of the body.
- Symptoms can come on gradually or start suddenly.
- Pain, stiffness, and swelling in your hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, knees, ankles, feet, jaw, and neck.
- More than one swollen joint. Usually, it’s small joints in your wrists, hands, or feet.
- Asymmetrical pattern. When the knuckles on your left hand are inflamed, the knuckles on your right hand probably will be as well. After some time, you may notice more of your joints feel warm or become painful or swollen.
- Morning stiffness that can last for hours or even most of the day.
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Psoriatic Arthritis
- People with this condition have inflammation of the skin and joints.
- Psoriasis causes patchy, raised, red and white areas of inflamed skin with scales. It usually affects the tips of the elbows and knees, the scalp, the navel, and skin around the genital areas or anus.
- Let’s break this down: This type of arthritis usually starts between ages 30 and 50, but it can start as early as childhood. It’s equally common among men and women. The skin disease (psoriasis) usually shows up first.
- Discolored and pitted fingernails
Call Us Today
Ask us about the different types of arthritis. Located in Miami, Stem Cell Miami has the noninvasive treatment you have been long awaiting. We are experts in stem cell therapy for arthritis. Our mission is to control orthopedic related pain and suffering by using the latest and most innovative regenerative medicine therapy procedures available today. If are aiming toward ridding your symptoms from an autoimmune disease, contact us today and see how we can make that pain go away. Make an appointment and begin the healing immediately.